Most clinicians realize that patient behaviour change and adherence to treatment recommendations are essential to producing positive health outcomes, especially when chronic illness is added to the mix. When a patient has difficulty making behaviour changes that would benefit their health, it can be frustrating for both the clinician and the patient.
The Choices and Changes workshop provides clinicians with specific, brief and efficient communication strategies to help them facilitate patient/client behaviour change and adherence to a treatment plan within the constraints of a typical office visit. The program is designed for small groups of six to 18 participants. There is no cost to attend.
Choices & Changes is part of the Institute for Healthcare Communication Patient-Centred Communication Series.
At the end of this learning activity you will be able to:
- Describe the role of the clinician as a facilitator of change
- Describe two models of change that can guide change-conversations
- Describe the three core Motivational Interviewing skills, as well as other techniques that develop rapport with patients/clients which increase the likelihood of change
- Practice skills and techniques (using trigger video cases and practice sessions)
- Develop a plan to apply specific skills into active clinical practice
Link to Patient’s Medical Home: Care Coordination; Patient-Centred Interactions; Organized, Evidence-Based Care
Category: Activating Change
Audience: Health Care Providers, Service Providers, Health Care Leaders
Delivery Option: Workshop (F2F)
Min: 4 people | Max: 36 people
Time: Half day to full day
Learning Level: Beginner
Learning Format: Workshop, videotaped case studies, skills exercises
CanMED-FM Roles: Communicator, Collaborator, Health Advocate, Professional
CanMED-Roles: Communicator, Collaborator, Health Advocate, Professional
Materials Provided: Choices & Changes: Clinician Influence and Patient Action workbook, extensive annotated bibliography
Pass Criteria: Full attendance at workshop
Accreditation: Up to 1.0 CFPC MainPro-M1 per hour of training
EXPRESSION of INTEREST
To learn more about this learning activity please contact us by email!